Saturday, October 4, 2014

NOVA Open Intro and List

Hey all!

So I wanted to start a blog to keep myself honest and to force myself to paint and play despite outside influences, and I figured what's a better opening series of posts than a tournament report?!? The reports that follow are from a tournament I attended was a few weeks ago called the NOVA Open. It was in Arlington, Virginia, and had 50 players or so signed up. 2 days, 6 games, all that jazz. And it was 2800 pts no comp. So basically, I was expecting a cheese fest. Just enough points for everyone to take all the toys they want. Spoiler alert: I was not disappointed.

Scoring was based on a modified 20-0 system, where there was no such thing as a draw. Yup. 2800 ptg games, and if you win or lose by 1 victory point, thats an 11-9. 'Muricans don't believe in ties, in impinges on freedom.

Victory Points Difference: Points for winner - Points for loser
1-500 pts difference: 11 - 9
501-1500 pts difference: 14 - 6
1501-2200 pts difference: 17 - 3
2201+ pts difference: 20 - 0

Bonus Points:
+1 for breaking your opponent
-1 for being broken
+1 for getting a (non-flying) unit into your opponent's deployment zone
+1 for destroying your opponent's largest unit

Also, 1/2 pts were given for units below 50% of their starting size, as well as characters at or below 1/2 of their starting wounds. Fleeing units at the end of the game count as destroyed for purposes of calculating VPs as well.

So  I set out to design what I shall humbly call THE LIST. I toiled for hours balancing the various aspects of the High Elf army book to design the perfect list for the current meta (note: none of the above meta breaking actually happened). I then spent countless hours play testing and fine tuning THE LIST (note: this didn't actually happen either). In the end, after rigorous calculations, I settled on the list below:



  • Prince
    • Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, Potion of foolhardiness (which I forgot I had)
    • Dragon armor, shield
    • Barded elven steed
  • Loremaster
    • Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Preservation
  • Noble
    • BSB
    • Enchanted Shield, Obsidian Amulet, Other Tricksters Shard
    • Dragon armor, shield
    • Barded elven steed
  • Mage
    • LV 2, High
    • Scroll, Khaine's Ring of Fury
  • 5 Reavers
    • Spears, bows
    • Musician
  • 5 Reavers
    • Spears, bows
    • Musician
  • 11 Silver Helms
    • Full Command
  • 10 Archers
    • Musician
  • 10 Archers
    • Musician
  • 21 Swordmasters of Hoeth
    • Full Command
    • AP banner
  • 24 White Lions
    • Full Command
    • Banner of the World Dragon 
  • 4x RBT
  • 2x Eagle


In reality, army selection went something akin to "So.... what do I have painted?" In the end I had to paint 4 bolt throwers, a Loremaster of Hoeth (dammit blogger, loremaster is a word), and 21 swordmasters. I had a week. Which was just enough time to hate myself. I got it done though, which was nice.

In reality it wasn't a bad list I don't think. I had solid shooting and a lot of magic missile ranged damage. I had 2 blocks that can do damage in combat, and one that can survive out of combat even! and a knight bus that is decent on the charge. And I was interested in trying out the swordmaster block. White Lions with banner... well everyone knows its good, and phoenix guard seem like an obvious choice as well. But swordmasters get a bad rap! I wanted to give them a good run and see what happens.

I also haven't played a game on a table in about 2 years. Universal Battle can only do so much... so this was going to be a baptism by fire as I plunge headlong back into the realm of table gaming rather than relying on the internet. Goal of the tournament: don't be stupid.

So there you have it. My master plan revealed! Now if only I can guarantee I will face limited BS shooting all tournament I'm in the clear! (Spoiler alert: this didn't happen either. Stupid elf meta).



1 comment:

  1. Hi Gatti! Great to see that you started your own blog. It's great fun and I am sure you will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete